Monday, May 28, 2007

Mini-mitten pattern


Lest I forget, here is the pattern for this mitten, based loosely on the DIY channel's Knitty Gritty pattern.

White yarn is Paton's Be Mine in Wuzzy White, variegated yarn is Lion Chenille.
  1. Using size 5 double pointed needles, cast on 24 stitches of the white yarn onto 3 needles.
  2. Knit 4 rows in garter stitch
  3. Switch yarn, knit about an inch in stockinette stitch
  4. Knit 3 stitches at the beginning of the row onto a waste yarn
  5. Slip the waste yarn stitches back onto the left needle, knit across using the working yarn
  6. Continue knitting stockinette stitch for another inch
  7. Transfer from 3 to 4 needles for the decreases
  8. At the beginning of the row in the front and back, SSK to decrease
  9. At the end of the row in the front and back, K2tog to decrease
  10. Knit one row
  11. Decrease one row using 7 and 8
  12. Repeat 9 and 10 until you have 4 stitches
  13. Sew through the remaining stitches
  14. Carefully remove the waste yarn and pick up 6-7 stitches using 3 dpns (I couldn't really see clearly with the dark chenille)
  15. Knit about 3/4"
  16. K2tog all the way around
  17. Sew through the remaining stitches, go back and sew any "holes" at the bottom of the thumb.
  18. For the second mitten, put the thumb on the opposite side!
I think my next pair of mittens should be even smaller, so I may try 16 stitches, and only 2 stitches on waste yarn for the thumb. It's only May, but I know I have to get cracking if I'm going to give these out as gifts for the holidays.

No comments :